The community theatre was inaugurated in 1841 under the name of Theatre of the Most Illustrious Community. It has preserved its beauty and has not undergone any significant structural change over the years. In its present form, the Theatre is a result of a careful historic restoration that brought it back to its original splendor and conformed it to all modern safety standards. The sound excellence, the good quality and the elegance of the building make it one of the most important Italian theatres. Every year, it offers one of the richest programs in the region with operas, ballets and concerts, from autumn to spring.
In October 2007, the Building was called “Luciano Pavarotti community theatre”, in memory of the great Modenese tenor, a month after his death.